Getting your own home is an overwhelming feeling in itself. And if you are experiencing that feeling, then congratulations!
We understand that moving can be both exciting and exhausting. While you may think of DIY to save additional costs, we are here to tell you the difference between doing it yourself and hiring professionals.
For some, hiring movers is the best course of action. Offloading the strains of heavy lifting, transporting, and packaging is well worth the investment in time and money. Others choose to save that cash by carrying out a DIY project. Additionally, there are ways to combine and match your services to receive your required support.
So you must take into account a variety of factors before making a final decision.
Things to look for when deciding how you will move
- Understanding the costs: If you are thinking of DIY, it’s crucial to consider how you will thank your friends or family members for helping you save money. But you must also know that moving on your own comes with many hidden fees. A DIY move is also far more expensive than hiring interstate removalists because you may not know when a sudden expense arises. On the other hand, hiring a moving company involves everything included in the binding agreement, and no additional costs are involved. All you need to do is carefully investigate a firm before hiring them and placing your valuable and expensive belongings in their care.
- Skills and experience: In the DIY option, you or your friends are not skilled or experienced enough to carry the belongings and load them onto the moving truck. Since each item has individual requirements, packing and loading it in the van is important. On the other hand, if you hire professionals, you’d know that your move is safely organised and fully handled by trained and skilled professionals. They’ll ensure that you have the greatest moving experience possible. The packers treat each item carefully, pack it according to their specifications, and handle your move quickly and efficiently.
- Accidents or damage: When you choose the self-move option, the issue arises of safely handling important valuables. As you are unfamiliar with the packing-moving procedure, your belongings may be damaged during loading, transporting, unloading, or unpacking. Most often, this occurs due to improper product handling and packaging. At the same time, hiring furniture removalists in Melbourne ensures no damage or accident. Workers can ensure their quality and safety by categorizing and packing their goods according to nature. With their expertise, they will devise a plan to move your items with the least risk of damage.
- Dealing with absences or no-shows: Have you ever planned to move with your friends, but at the last minute, they cancelled it? It can be frustrating, but knowing how to deal with it is important. If your friends are helping you move, it’s a good idea to check with them closer to the moving day to make sure they can still help. However, if you hired movers, there’s no chance they would cancel it as it is their responsibility as per the agreement between you both. But if they cancel it, you are obliged to reschedule the moving date at the same cost or even less.
- Insurance and injury: Accidents can happen, and no one can deny them. You or your friends may get injured as you are not trained to move your home’s heavy and bulky items. This can even lead to a serious issue, as you might have to compensate your friend out of your pocket if they get into trouble. If you hire interstate removalists, you won’t need to worry much if a moving company employee is hurt by mistake. These kinds of mishaps are normal for them. Therefore, all trustworthy removalist companies are insured. Any employee injuries are covered and paid for by the company at no additional expense to you. To protect your belongings during a move, remember that the removalist company’s accident and injury insurance does not cover you. Therefore, it is crucial to inquire about insurance coverage as soon as you contact the company.
We recommend weighing these aspects before deciding whether to move via DIY or hire professional furniture removalists in Melbourne. Since it involves your personal property, these decisions shouldn’t be made hastily.